Thursday, June 2, 2011

Helping others by what you have gone through

I was sent back down memory lane last night at the grocery store. I was cruising the cereal aisle and saw this woman standing there and crying. I looked around and didn't see any small kids or any real reason and then I saw her clutching the box of Cheerios. I knew. I went over to her and asked if I could give her a hug. Not "what was wrong" but just "hi, can I give you a hug" and she look startled and I opened my arms and gave her a hug. She cried some more and I patted her on the back.

She told me what I had suspected. The Cheerios were her son's favorite breakfast food and he was killed three weeks ago. She said she was okay at the store till she hit this aisle and knew she would never buy them for him again. Her son was in the military and killed overseas.

I told her about my experience with the ice cream aisle and my husband's passing. How I stood there with my head leaning against the cold glass and crying because I knew I could never eat this certain kind again without thinking of Jim. And how all I wanted to do was eat it with him.

She told me thank you and gave me a hug back. We went out seperate ways and I never did learn her name or her mine. But, for one moment, I was able to give her a little comfort and understanding in the walk thru the grief process.

5 comments:

~TigereyeSal~ said...

Awww- what a wonderful story, Betsy.

Angela said...

YOU did a wonderful thing. Hugs to you!

Rach said...

Oh, wow, the goosebumps I have on my arms. Just, wow. You were amazing, you know that? What a beautiful human being you are. You really touched that woman and she will never forget you for your kindness to her.

It's funny, the grocery was one of my hardest places in the beginning as well.

Bismo said...

Beautiful... just beautiful. You're a special person.

Jane said...

That's a very special thing that you did for that lady.

I am visiting you from Rach...

Jane
xox